Research Consultant – Meghalaya
Location: Shillong, Meghalaya (open to travel across various districts in the State)
Deadline: 15th August 2022 or until the position filled
About Accountability Initiative (AI)
We are a research group which works on strengthening transparency and accountability in governance. We identify and analyse the reasons that work against efficient public services delivery in India. We provide evidence to policymakers, development practitioners, academics, the media and the public for positive transformational change in government systems.
Our vision is to enable Responsive Governance. We believe this can be achieved if institutions are designed in a transparent and accountable manner and are responsive to citizen demands, and there is an informed and mobilised citizenry which can draw upon these platforms. Our mission is to encourage both through research and dialogue.
We are a part of Centre for Policy Research (CPR), one of India’s leading public policy think tanks. We currently have operations and staff in over five Indian states.
AI is seeking to hire a Research Consultant to provide research support to the Planning Department of the Government of Meghalaya on various aspects of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) indicators and other socio-economic initiatives in the state. The engagement will entail overall management of the project, working and coordinating with Meghalaya Planning Department officials on broad-based research, fieldwork management and analysis tasks with regard to SDG indicators. The position is based out of Shillong, Meghalaya and will require the candidate to make field visits within the State. The duration of the employment will be 1 year with opportunities for further extension.
As the position is based in Shillong, Meghalaya, we are looking for people from Meghalaya, having knowledge and awareness of the local conditions of the state and are fluent in Khasi/Garo/Pnar.
About the Project
The Planning Department, Government of Meghalaya and AI-CPR are collaborating on understanding the position of the state on various SDG indicators. This collaboration is expected to entail both primary and secondary data collection and feedback on the policies and operations of the Government of Meghalaya. This position will be reporting to an Associate Fellow at the Accountability Initiative, with bottom-line reporting to the Lead of Accountability Initiative.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
The Research Consultant’s role will primarily be the following:
- Lead the preparation of research tools and field surveys.
- Lead and manage fieldwork, including training.
- Lead analysis of the collected quantitative and qualitative data.
- Lead the preparation of reports and policy briefs suggesting appropriate policy measures on achieving SDG targets for the state.
- Conceptualise, manage and deliver a database of the state’s status on identified SDG indicators.
- Regularly coordinate with Planning Department, Government of Meghalaya and other line departments of the state, and manage key relationships.
- Lead front-facing work with the state government, including making presentations of intermediate outputs as and when required, with minimal supervision.
- Coordinate and liaise with relevant stakeholders within the Accountability Initiative Delhi team in undertaking the survey and analysis.
- Manage timelines and deliverables, and proactively communicate risks to the Accountability Initiative top management.
- Manage other Research Associates/ Interns working on the project as and when required.
Qualifications and Skills
The requirement is on an immediate basis. Interested candidates can apply to: [email protected] with the subject “Application for the post of Research Consultant – Meghalaya”. The application should include:
- A cover letter describing your background, work experience, interest and suitability for the position;
- A CV, which specifically lists relevant experiences and skills;
- One writing sample of 4-5 pages.
- 2 references (preferably one professional and one academic) along with contact information.
Note: The documents should be enclosed in a zipped file, with your name clearly mentioned in the file name as well as the contents of the file.
CPR is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org