Policy Buzz: Coronavirus-focus Tenth Edition
26 July 2020
Keep up-to-date with all that is happening in welfare policy with this curated selection of news, published every fortnight. The current edition focusses on the Coronavirus pandemic in India, and the government’s efforts to stem its increase.
- The Union government has issued a COVID-19 advisory for gated residential complexes that consist of several measures, including provisions for hand hygiene at entry points and in work areas.
- To provide counselling to students for mental health and well-being, the HRD ministry has launched the ‘Manodarpan’ initiative. Under this initiative is a toll-free national helpline number, a website and a handbook on 21st-century life skills.
- Under the Flood Management Program (FMP) scheme, the Union government will release Rs 346 crores to Assam and will also hold talks with Bhutan to solve the recurring flood problem in the lower parts of the state.
- The Delhi government has launched the “Mukhya Mantri Ghar Ghar Ration Yojana” for doorstep ration delivery.
- The Odisha government has approved a proposal to cover the transgender community under the “Madhu Babu Pension Yojana” (MBPY). Around 5,000 transgender people will receive a monthly pension of Rs 500 and Rs 900 (depending on their age).
- The India Council of Medical Research (ICMR) is going to conduct a study to evaluate the effectiveness of the BCG vaccination in elderly individuals between 60 to 95 years of age living in COVID-19 hotspots.
- Kerala government has confirmed community transmission of COVID-19 in Thiruvananthapuram’s Poonthura and Pullivila.
- India and Israel are collaborating to develop rapid testing for COVID-19. Israel’s technological expertise and India’s mass production capabilities are coming together to develop testing in under 30 seconds.